Tuesday, June 10, 2014

ON BASEBALL IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST: THE RAYS APPEAR TO BE LOLLYGAGGERS

A number of years ago, when my stepson played for a Senior Little League baseball team with a history of coming in last, I agreed to coach. As manager of the worst team in the area I got the first "pick" of the Spring to select his teammates coming up from Little League. Senior League is for players ages 13 through 15, the first year kids play on a Major League-size diamond. 

The process of selection was made difficult by parents who told their children to fake incompetence during the tryouts. Their thinking? Since I was a new coach I would not know which players were exceptional and which were not. When I saw they could not catch or hit I would choose someone else. After all, who wants their kids playing for a loser?

My stepson, who to this day is still one of the most honest men I know, thwarted them by telling me which were very good players before the tryouts as well as telling me about the conspiracy to thwart selection.

Believe me, not only were the kids upset I chose them, their parents were even more upset. After a couple of games into a season of lackluster play, I asked my stepson, "What's going on?" He told me they needed a rude awakening. "Remember that scene in 'Bull Durham' when the manager threw the bats into the shower," he asked? "They need a moment like that," he answered.

I knew immediately what he meant. And, during the next game, I noticed we hung our aluminum bats on the tall chain-link fence surrounding the dugout. I also noticed our first-year catcher walking after a passed ball with men on base. Without saying a word, I kicked the aluminum fence near the bats. Bats flew everywhere. The noise of fifteen metal bats flying around the dugout was not only loud, but cacophonous. Immediately, everyone turned to look...players, fans, hot dog vendor, and umpires. From center field I could see my stepson smile.

We did not lose a single game after that moment and we placed five players on the All-Star Team (including the lollygagging catcher) and reached the playoffs for the first time in the history of the team. Oh, and I kicked the fence so hard I broke my big toe.

I knew my players wanted to win. They simply did not know how because they thought they were playing for a loser. The ruckus I raised publicly did not make them better players. It did, however, let them know that someone in charge cared about them and cared about whether they were living up to their potential.

The Tampa Bay Rays, a team for which I have rooted for the 14 years I have lived in Saint Petersburg, needs one of these moments. Unfortunately they have a manager, Joe Maddon, who, by his own admission, does not have it in his DNA to get angry or explode. He is a great manager, so I cannot say he is wrong. But, I think the team ownership and management could send a message. And, that message could be as strong as throwing or kicking bats.

If I was the General Manager of the Rays I would publicly announce that, for the right players, pitchers David Price and Grant Balfour, as well as third-baseman Evan Longoria, are available for trade before the July 31 non-waiver deadline. I would immediately call up pitcher Mike Montgomery and catcher Curt Casali from the AAA Durham Bulls team [yes, isn't that a coincidence?].

Jose Molina, who has not weighed the number he now carries as a batting average since he was a pre-teen, is dropped from the team. I like the man, so I would offer him a coaching position, much like the one his brother Bengie has with the Texas Rangers, but he is through as the team catcher.

My next-day pitcher would be Montgomery with a lineup, in batting order, of: CF, Kevin Kiermaier; 1B, James Loney; C, Curt Casali; 3B, Evan Longoria; SS, Yunel Escobar; 2B, Ben Zobrist; DH, Jerry Sands; RF, Matt Joyce; LF, David DeJesus. When he returns from the disabled list I would replace Joyce with Will Myers.

In addition to a search for new pitching talent through these trades, the Rays should focus on a third baseman and a catcher with some "pop" in their bats. Oh, and another outfielder with the ability to hit a few home runs would be nice as well.

The Rays, who this morning have a won-lost record of  24-41, 15 games behind in the American League East, and touting the worst record in Major League Baseball, should blow off this season. Rebuild for tomorrow. Give some kids a chance to show what they can do. And, keep Maddon as Manager. He gets more out of young players than anyone in baseball.

David Price, Grant Balfour, and Evan Longoria are the kind of players who, when asked, say, "we're just not getting the breaks." That is crap. You make your own breaks.

They need to be traded while they still have a lot of trade value. The team needs a shake by the collar and the players need to know that when out on the ball field, as in life, you always play to your potential and play as a team.

The Tampa Bay Rays, picked by many to win the World Series in 2014, is not even close to playing to their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment