Tuesday, January 21, 2014

ON LIFE AND WAR

Today I reach age 66.  As I pondered my existence this morning I realized that during 42 of those years, almost 64% of my life, the United States of America has been at war.  

American soldiers have fought in Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Panama, Iraq, and elsewhere.  Troops are still fighting in Afghanistan as I write this blog.  And, even when we were not “officially” at war, we were at war.  Bosnia and Somalia are two engagements that come to mind.

I spent four years of my life, from ages 18 to 22, as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps.  I spent more than 18 months outside the country and served in Vietnam in 1969 and 1970.  I was part of a Marine squadron ordered to return to Vietnam to prepare to move into Cambodia in May 1970.  When I returned to the U.S. I was called a "baby killer", not a hero.  Most veteran's groups would not allow Vietnam veterans to join because we "lost" the war. People like to forget that part of history.  The affect of those four years on me, and my family, is still with me today.

I write this small piece because this year we are scheduled to end our war effort in Afghanistan.  Many think we should stay because they feel the need to win this war to assure no American died in vain.

Trust me, all members of the military die in vain; as they do in every war fought.  In battle soldiers do not fight to protect ideals, they fight to protect themselves and their fellow soldiers.

What I have learned in my years on earth is that no one wins at war.  All participants are losers.  War is a waste of life and a waste of treasure.  A strong society would be wise to find another way to settle differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment