Wednesday, April 30, 2014

ON: LIFE RIDING ON AMERICA'S ECONOMIC ROLLER COASTER

I was thinking the other day about a 1990's weekend road trip with my former wife. We drove to a small town in northwestern Illinois.  Galena is a small tourist destination and, as such, has a number of shops in which to spend money.

One such place was a woman's discount shoe shop.  My former spouse, who grew up in a frugal Australian family, found four pairs of shoes she liked. She came to me and asked me which pair I preferred.  I told her all four were wonderful.

She then pushed me, "but which pair should I buy?"  I asked her, "Why do you have to choose?"

She looked me straight in the eye and exclaimed, "You can only buy one pair of shoes at a time!"  I said, "No, we can afford to buy as many as we like. And, since you like all four and the price for each is so good, buy all four."

I took them to the counter. Paid for them.  And, for the two-hour ride home I learned she had never bought more than one pair of shoes at a single outing in her entire life. Not only that, but she feared this was somehow going to interrupt world order.  In more than 40 years on earth her motto had always been, "One pair at a time."

I tell this story because over the past couple of weekends I stayed in her lovely downtown apartment while she was in Sydney, Australia, with her family. We are divorced now, since 2006. But, we have remained friends.

Downtown Saint Petersburg is bustling these days. Wonderful high-end restaurants and bars, as well as entertainment venues, Saturday markets, art and music festivals, Grand Prix racing, and more occur every weekend. It has now become a place for those who can afford to buy four pairs of shoes at a time.

At the height of my career I earned a couple of hundred thousand dollars per year. I lived in large, beautiful homes, traveled when it pleased me, and ate in the finest of restaurants.

Unlike my family and my wife's family, I did not defer all to the future. I had an urge to see the four corners of the world to witness its treasures, to taste its best wines and foods, and to experience life to its fullest. I never spent more than I had, but I did spend what I earned. I paid my taxes, saved a little through payroll deductions, and never complained.

As I progressed into my 50's the world changed.  Tech stocks became the place to put your savings to earn high returns.  They also became a place to lose your savings quickly, and I did.

Housing prices zoomed high and, quite literally, my bank called me at least once a week to offer me a high five-figure, low interest loan to spend on anything I deemed proper. Those same banks drove our economy into the ground by 2007, and proved my home was worth $150,000 less than what my bank told me it was worth in 2006.

BP, the company that bragged on TV how safely it drilled for oil, spilled millions of barrels of it into the Gulf of Mexico and onto its beaches. My small business, which suffered heavily after the 2007 recession, was just starting to turn around in 2010. However, since it relied heavily on coastal-based business sales, we lost 60% in gross sales within 2 months after the spill.

I tried to hold on, but was forced to close and file Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2011. Because I had taken money from both my IRA and personal savings in an attempt to keep my business afloat, I had less saved for my future than I used to earn in a single month. Social Security and a small VA disability pension became my monthly income.

Today, I am forced to give up the home I spoke of earlier through a short sale. It sells today for less than its original purchase price in 2001.

I do not write about this with regrets.  I enjoyed my life and continue to do so. But, when I visit the mall, I am on a sightseeing trip.  I am not a buyer.  When I visit a restaurant, it is usually with a Groupon in hand. I cook and eat at home.  When I shop for food at Publix, I bring coupons, buy meat on sale, and look for BOGO products.

Life has changed for me. I cannot say it is better, I can only say it is different.  I know I am far better off than many Americans who are younger than me.

It hurts me a little to see something I would have readily purchased in my heyday and have to pass it by. Maybe I did buy too many pairs of shoes at a time!

Who knew my government would so completely sell out both the poor and the middle class in favor of the ultra rich. And, no banker goes to jail for their obvious theft and fraud.

There is always light at the end of dark tunnels! My new lifestyle has forced me to find some very nice tasting, yet inexpensive, Pinot Noir's and Chardonnay's to help wash down the beans and rice. After all, one must remain civilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment